Dog lovers have a set list of commands and praise-words for their pooches that are pretty much standardized. With a little training and a lot of treats, dogs will generally learn how to “sit,” “heel,” “roll-over,” ” leave it” (although often grudgingly) and “come.” Dog folks can often be heard saying, “good boy” or “good girl” and “want to go for ride?” or “let’s do walkies.”
Cat lovers, however, speak to their feline companions with what seems like a totally different language. Oh, occasionally we slip-up and say something like “come here!” or “get off the bed” to a cat, but we soon learn that any kind of command is paws-down ignored by the superior being.
So, dog-folks, while you are diligently and constructively teaching your canine pal to “leave it” when the mail carrier is cowering outside the gate, here are 10 things that we cat folks are wasting our breath on:
1. Please get your butt out of my face.
2. Move your tail.
3. No, you can’t go in there/up there/out there….
4. I told you to stay off the counter….
5. Move, I need to sit down.
6. Do you have to track the litter ALL over the house?
7. You’d think I was killing you…. (used when the human is struggling to clip the hissing and squirming cat’s claws)
8. I need to move my legs…. (most often heard and ignored on the bed)
9. Cats are not supposed to drink milk….
10. Why do you need to drink water out of the tap when there are 3 water bowls?
©February 2011 by Phyllis J. Hanniver
Posted with WordPress for BlackBerry.